Thread: My latest project

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

My latest project

I joined a commission that my town of 10,000 has formed. We are underserved by our telco, most residents have dialup internet, some have no cable tv, we are far enough north on the globe that the azimuth angle on dish internet is very low and easily blocked.

We are building a fiber optic network. We will reach 4500 households along 130 linear miles of roads. We will be hosting other towns in our area.

This is probably the only way rural Vermont will get high speed internet.

http://ecfiber.net
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    Sweet

I'd be very careful, though (VERY!) with the "How Fast is Fiber" page. You (or whomever made that page) are saying that "[a]ll of the other technologies are limited physically for one reason or another" - so is Burlington, though (which you admit right there when you say that "When using fiber, the limiting factor is the equipment used to connect to it"). In other words, you're saying that all the other technologies are limited by technology... and so are you. You might want to reword that.

Same goes for the speed comparison: it's falsifying the other speeds (Cable supports WAY more than 15Mbps, for example, and DSL does definitely support WAAAAAAY more than the 8Mbps you're saying it does). If I'd be working for any of your competitors, I'd so sue your ass over that.

"All of the other technologies are limited physically for one reason or another. When using fiber, the limiting factor is the equipment used to connect to it."

That right there is what would make you loose any lawsuit; first, you're saying that all other technologies are limited by the law of physics (which is true, of course), and at the same time you're trying to make us believe that fiber is not.... and then you're reiterating that fiber is limited by physics, too.

Neg,

I'll bring those points up with the author, or at least make sure he has references. The people who have aDSL or cable internet in the area aren't offered speeds higher than the page, the infrastructure won't support it.

We though about wireless but we weren't called the Green Mountain State for nothing.

We're not worried about competitors, the private sector hasn't reached this backwater area. Maybe 35% have aDSL servicible phone coverage, Cable tv doesn't go to more than half of the poles and I don't think they'll shift the geosynched satellites for us to get a better angle.

It's a bold project our target is to have the first customers on by December '08.

When they did it in Burlington VT they couldn't get crews out fast enough to keep up with the demand. We're the 8th largest town in the state so we'll try to provide the leadership for the rest.
    ddddc

********** |ceWriterguy
    Much cheaper alternative -

Wireless highspeed. Get a landline highspeed to a specific point (town's isp) - then mount a dish on a high spot - cell tower or water tower or whatever.

users need only purchase or rent a cheap wireless receiver to get broadband that way. My old hometown (lower podunk) does this and it works nicely, undercutting any other broadband provider by a solid 30 percent in price and still bringing decent revenues to the town. Mountains? no problem - multiple dishes.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

My town is 30 square miles of hills and river valleys. Most of Vermont doesn't have cell phone coverage. I don't even want to guess the number of towers and arrays we'd need.

The original group of towns considered WiFi but backed away after looking at the cost of the number of towers. Servicing the towers would be an issue due to the dense forestry and wonderful weather we can have.
    ddddc