Thread: Mini tut : Getting Slackware Linux to use a 2.6 Kernel

Mini tut : Getting Slackware Linux to use a 2.6 Kernel

Tutorial for using the 2.6 Kernel on Slackware Linux

Written by gore

First you need to install Slackware Linux. I recommend reading my tutorials as they go step by step.

After the installation is complete, login as root and mount the Slackware installation disc #2.

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/testing/packages/linux-2.6.10

Install 2.6 kernel:

You can 'ls' to see the available files, but you want to be sure you have the kernel, kernel modules, and makeinitrd installed. You can install it while you're installing Slackware Linux on your box. mkinitrd is what make an initial ramdisk.

installpkg kernel*.tgz

cd /boot

mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.10 -m reiserfs

This will create the /boot/initrd-tree containing the initrd filesystem. It will also create the actual initrd (initrd.gz).

you can enter 'ls' in /boot to see the files we now have. Among others, you should see 'vmlinuz-generic-2.6.10' and 'initrd.gz'.

Now to make the changes to /etc/lilo.conf, use your favorite text editor. I prefer 'vi'. Add the following under your previous kernel:

#Linux bootable partition config begins

image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.10
    initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux-2.6.10
    read-only
    #Linux bootable config ends

Save and exit the editor. Now run /sbin/lilo. If you see the 'Added Linux-2.6.10, you should be okay. Go ahead and reboot.

When you reboot, select the 'Linux-2.6.10' entry and see if it works, it should.

Everything should work except sound at this point. This is because you are still using the old alsa-drivers.

Mount the cd #2 again. In the same directory where the 2.6.11.9 kernel packages are, there is the alsa-drivers for it as well.

installpkg als*.tgz

alsaconf

It should recognize your sound card (if it's supported) and all should be working.

*smack* damnit that is it.... as popeye said it...

Dude, I beg of you do me one favor... This isn't me picking on you either...

Please, write just one, just one tutorial that is about something, that you can't pick up with 30 seconds of reading a book or looking at any linux site.... Something that actually requires thought, something that requires skill, and most of all something thta requires you to actually not use VI and use a real editor to edit it.

That would be my "Smashing the Human stack for fun and profit" paper I've worked on lately.

use a real editor to edit it
    Yes indeed. It would be nice to see you using ed for a change.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

I demand the use of VI.

Well actually i perfer joe or nano. Because vi gives me headaches.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

I made ya a flowchart to go along with your tut.

Quite funny actually... the same process just worked for package ZYX... Hmmm...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    *smack* damnit that is it.... as popeye said it...

Dude, I beg of you do me one favor... This isn't me picking on you either...

Please, write just one, just one tutorial that is about something, that you can't pick up with 30 seconds of reading a book or looking at any linux site.... Something that actually requires thought, something that requires skill, and most of all something thta requires you to actually not use VI and use a real editor to edit it.
    I didn't take it that way. Don't worry about t.

The reason was I had problems with it at first and this worked for me, so I wrote it out. In case someone else had the same problem. Like my slackware Laptop thread, it took me 3 months to find a way for it to work right. It can't use fdisk or cfdisk for some reason.