Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Where's my missing space on the C drive?

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    LOL, I very much doubt he has UAC enabled! That would drive anyone nuts before they'd had Vista longer than about a week! One gripe I do have is that it takes off the IE protection when you disable UAC which is a bit petty.
    Sure it's annoying when you first get your computer and you're installing many programs and configuring many system-wide settings, but after that it pretty much stays out of your way. (That was my experience, anyways.) It actually seemed to me like a decent way to implement the principle of least privilege on a mass-market scale.

nihil:
    Sheesh, nihil. You sure have a lot of posts now.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I'm sorry but I just couldn't stand it before I'd installed even a quarter of my programs I don't need a box asking me whether I want to carry out an action when I've just clicked OK to do so!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    I'm sorry but I just couldn't stand it before I'd installed even a quarter of my programs I don't need a box asking me whether I want to carry out an action when I've just clicked OK to do so!
    Fair enough, but you should realize that it's not asking you to confirm your action; it's asking your if you want to allow a certain program access to system files or administrative privileges. This would be useful, for example, if malware exploited your browser (presuming it's not IE 7 running in Protected Mode) and tried to write to the C:\Program Files or C:\Windows directories.

For me, this is a much easier method of running with restricted privileges than I have open to me with Windows XP. (With Windows XP, I run as a User and log into my administrator account to administrate my machine.)

Cheers,
    - X

-- Søren Kierkegaard

No, poxy IE won't run in Protected Mode if you turn off UAC which to my mind is just MS way of persuading people not to! But I'm sorry, I really could not stand it.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hoopy Frood
    I realize that IE will not run in Protected Mode without UAC. I am under the impression that this is not because Microsoft arbitrarily decided to require UAC to be turned on for it to work, but because Protected Mode is dependent upon UAC in some way. Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/02/09/528963.aspx

- X

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I agree with that xierox,

It is part of the design and methodology. The basic concept of lowest required authority and so on.

I am not sure that the "Are you sure you are sure, really? to be sure" approach would upset me, if you know what I mean I have several apps that do that anyway, for security reasons. I particularly like the one that says:

"Windoze Genuine Advantage is trying to read and modify physical memory"

I tell it to

I do not recall giving Convicted Drug Criminal III permission to do that on my machine?

Interesting link nihil!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

How about Volume Shadow Copy service?

It can be an annoyance when you don't realize that it is discretely backing information up and hiding it so you can use the features of the UAC that allow users to 'undelete' or 'undo' files or system changes.

For explanation for those that are like me and love to know the How and Why - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa381497.aspx

About the dissappearing disk space issues, have you checked the Disk Cleanup and deleted all but the most recent restore points?
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...k-cleanup.html

Hope some or all of that helps.

I'll pass on those links to my friend thanks zallison, my own space became accounted for once I realised I hadn't actually globally unhidden system files.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by zallison
    It can be an annoyance when you don't realize that it is discretely backing information up and hiding it so you can use the features of the UAC that allow users to 'undelete' or 'undo' files or system changes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think UAC and the Shadow Copy feature are related or dependent upon each other in any way?

It's not exactly hidden. Right-clicking a file and clicking "Restore previous versions..." is hardly hidden. If you don't like it, you could always just stop the Service from running. (At least, I assume it's a service. I'm not on Vista machine, so I can't doublecheck.)

And besides that, it's designed to take up as small as space as possible. If you change a file, it backs up only the changed section not the entire file again.

- X

-- Søren Kierkegaard