Thread: Limewire & Microsoft?

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Limewire & Microsoft?

Their was a discussion @ www.computerforums.org where a moderator stated whats quoted below; (you can read the whole thing here @ http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=54268)

That's the thing with flie sharing, you never know what will sneak in and screw with your computer. either a virus infected program, spyware, malware, ect. even micro$oft will make sure your computer screws up if your illegally downloading music files. They have the right to intercept the download.
    See whats in bold? Is that true? About Microsoft having the right to intercept the download?
    Also,
    States;
    They work with an outside company in wich all they do is monitor all file sharing networks and sites, with help from Microsoft by law they the right to intercept the d/l (download) and then impliment the DRM. (Digital Rights Managment) wich puts in place ways to freeze up your cd/dvd burner or computer.
    Don't ask me how i know this, i just know it's true.

Correct me if Im wrong but I don't think Microsoft has the right to 'intercept the download' from a P2P network? I know there are 3rd party vendors out their that monitor ISP networks and such, but I didnt know for P2P networks? Whats your take on it?
    Im not a big P2P fan just found this interesting. All help is appreciated. CN22
    Last edited by Computernerd22; April 18th, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

Banned
    Howdy.

I think that the poster in question is smoking waaaay to much weed, and is dreaming.

If Microsoft where really able to do this, then i think that a lot more then this one person would know about this whole thing..

if they where able to do this, then think of the huge security risk pre-inbuilt in all Microsoft OS, not to mention wouldn't it come under root kit type area? witch would itself open up a whole new can worms..?

beside's all a constant p2p user needs to do is change the ports settings that the app uses on a regular basis, not to mention the fact that proxy's make it harder to track users, and it's really simple to ring up your ISP and get a new set of IP addresse assigned, either for free or for a cheap fee.

cheers
    acidtone..

Hmmmm,

Sounds like a bit of confusion with AACS? which is the protection system for HD-DVD and BluRay?

Monitoring net traffic would depend on the legislation in your place of operation, the source location, and its destination.

The US Government cannot afford what is suggested, so I doubt if Microsoft can

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    They work with an outside company in wich all they do is monitor all file sharing networks and sites, with help from Microsoft by law they the right to intercept the d/l (download) and then impliment the DRM. (Digital Rights Managment) wich puts in place ways to freeze up your cd/dvd burner or computer.
    Don't ask me how i know this, i just know it's true.
    If this was the case wouldnt this violate offenses against *intellectual property* law and/or offenses against computer equipment or supplies law?
    Also, I don't see where/how it can mess up your optical drive either. I agree with 'acidtone' and 'Nihil' because your guys replies actually make sense.

Hi Computernerd22,

Also, I don't see where/how it can mess up your optical drive either.
    That is what made me mention AACS. Apparently a HD-DVD can carry a blacklist which will prevent it being played by certain hardware. In the case of computer drives this would have to be generic, so is unlikely to be used.

This doesn't actually do anything to the drive, which would work normally and continue to play pre-blacklist HD-DVDs