Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proxies

proxies

my other problem(well, just a sort of) is setting up a proxy server. do you guys have any tutorials regarding how to setup a proxy server what softwares (or hardware?) will i use for the network? i got 50 workstations and 2 server. am running up a windows(ouch!) server.

thanks a lot...again.
    .sig na ture.

You have a couple of options,

1) You could go out and buy Microsoft ISA Server 2004 and install it in caching mode instead of firewall mode, it's great and can produce reports based on user accounts or ip address, you can also set this up so when ever someone goes to use the internet they can be prompted for a domain username and password which makes blocking certin peoples access to the internet or certin sites a breeze

2) You could put a linux box in their to do basically the same thing but unless your familiar with linux then it will take a while

I would recomede ISA 2004 if your using Windows server 2003 as it will only take a few hours to set up as apposed to a few days depending on your skill level.

Memnoch

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Memnoch
    you can also set this up so when ever someone goes to use the internet they can be prompted for a domain username and password {..}
    If you setup ISA to use NTLM authentication both IE and Firefox will logon automagicly (without prompting the user) using the current user's credentials.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Can i use that that ISA 2004 proxy for my web server?
    .sig na ture.

ISA 2004 is a firewall/web caching application and doesn't have an email server inbuilt, if you wish to run an email server on the same box you would have to run microsoft exchange server

Memnoch

ok..thanks a lot.
    .sig na ture.

AOs Resident Troll
    With 50 users you could upgrade to the MS Small Business Server which is cheaper to buy as a bundle....

You get Exchange,IIS and sharepoint with the standard version...
    or go for the premium version and you also get ISA and SQL

Cheaper then buying seperate....although has to reside on one machine...good hardware is needed

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

that would be a good one but the budget was used buying some new computer units. think am goin to use the ISA. thanks anyway.
    .sig na ture.

You could get a stand-alone box to set on your network to do this... Don't ask me right now, but there is a free lin. program that turns your box into a proxy. Give me a little while and I will remember what it is called. THis is probably not an option because of the network... But it is an idea.

Squid is the linux proxy application, it isn't to hard to setup and run but has less features then ISA depending on what you want to do with it, ISA has better reporting with AD so you can tell which user has been where and then apply a more granular access list to the users

Memnoch