Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 release date : October 22nd, 2009

Windows 7 release date : October 22nd, 2009

This is one of those posts where I’m truly excited to be writing. I get to tell you when Windows 7 will be on store shelves! According to input from customers and partners we’ve made a lot of progress with Windows 7.

Our milestone-to-milestone approach for Windows 7 is built on a great deal of feedback from customers and testers. This has been pivotal to the development of Windows 7.

I blogged a few weeks ago that it’s looking like we’ll have Windows 7 ready in time for the holidays.

Since then we’ve made enough progress to feel really good about announcing today that Windows 7 will be in stores beginning October 22nd.

I don’t know about you but I can’t wait to see Windows 7 sitting on store shelves!

Some people may not be able to wait for Windows 7 to arrive before having to order a new PC (like parents who are sending their sons or daughters off to school who need of a PC to take with them). Fortunately, there is no need to wait. Soon, customers will be able to take advantage of the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program. This program enables participating retailers and OEMs to offer a special deal to upgrade to Windows 7 for customers purchasing a qualifying PC. I’ll be doing another blog post about this program with a date and more details when we get closer to availability.

Obviously, Release To Manufacturing (RTM) is an important milestone on the path to GA. We anticipate that we’ll be able to make the RTM code for Windows 7 available to our partners sometime in the 2nd half of July. We also expect to be able to make RTM code for Windows Server 2008 R2 available to our partners in this time frame as well.

I've been using the RC and i'm definitely impressed.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...dows-7-is.aspx
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I may hold out for Windows 8. It seems there was a post a while back saying that it was already in the making.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I may hold out for Windows 8. It seems there was a post a while back saying that it was already in the making.
    Lol, they probably already have the next three versions started. A friend of mine who I went to college with was working there once, and when he first went inside the product development area, they were doing Office for Windows 95, and they already had the next version, and the XP version of Office running on machines there testing them out. So they had Office XP already in a working state back in like 1995 or 1996 or so.

BeTeWrangler,

If you enjoyed the resources Windows 7 Team Blog gives then you will also enjoy and benefit from Microsoft Springboard. There are several videos, forums and even a tips / tricks section for all Windows 7 RC users. Check it out...

http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
    Microsoft TechNet / Springboard

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm, is everyone going to jump in head first before waiting for SP1 ... ?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

hell yeah.....unless microsoft gives me a reason not too.....nvm

Win7 seems to be a lot like Vista. Does the licensing preclude VM's again?

I got an RC version going on this Linux unit.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Isn't Vista still based on NT? I'm more interested in what the server version is going to be based on. I know that NT is the basis of 2000, XP, and Vista is like XP with a nicer paint job and way steeper system requirements, and 7 seems to be based on Vista too, so is there ever going to be a product like, "Windows NT - X" or something for 2010?

I know some people might be thinking I'm being sarcastic but that name seems cooler than the Ski resorts they use on pre-released products.

I'd like a newer version of actual NT, without the super steep system requirements and RAM candy. I'd still be using 2000 if it was going to stay in production with security and bug fixes. 2000 and XP are the only two OSs from Microsoft I personally actually liked other than NT's design ideas. (NTFS and the other stuff NT had) why can't you guys do that again? NT and 2000 had system requirements anyone could have met at the time without much in terms of upgrading, it was for the most part stable, and then Vista...

Oh, and, can someone there make an Email client that's good? You know, getting rid of the preview pane that opened up viruses and worms for you, and making it look like either Vista's Mail client, or something like Outlook XP?

Banned
    I don't think you're being sarcastic - I think you're being clueless.

I'm guessing you're stuck in the past... IE5 with IIS2.nothing or something...

Try running Server 2008 (or even 2003...), SQL Server 2005 or 2008, IIS 6+... Throw .Net 3.5 in the mix, add VS2008...

You can keep testing out OSes to see which one has the best email client (It's Outlook, of course) or which one lets you mix your music best, but maybe it's time to grow up and look for a decent platform. You bring your LAMP stuff, I'll bring the most mature platform the world has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative View Post
    I don't think you're being sarcastic - I think you're being clueless.

I'm guessing you're stuck in the past... IE5 with IIS2.nothing or something...

Try running Server 2008 (or even 2003...), SQL Server 2005 or 2008, IIS 6+... Throw .Net 3.5 in the mix, add VS2008...

You can keep testing out OSes to see which one has the best email client (It's Outlook, of course) or which one lets you mix your music best, but maybe it's time to grow up and look for a decent platform. You bring your LAMP stuff, I'll bring the most mature platform the world has ever seen.
    Wtf?

I have Server 2003 EE, and I don't use LAMP.

As for mature Platforms, Microsoft can maybe stake some claim if they bring back XENIX. The most mature platform still in use today was started in the 1960s. After 40 years, I think I can say you got that part a little off. And why the hell would I test an "OS" for an email client? OSs have nothing to do with Email Clients unless it's Outlook. Everything else is almost entirely cross platform. Or works on others with emulation.

Clueless... Yea, THAT is the term used for someone who doesn't have enough money to buy a brand new machine to run an OS...